Kevin completed education in Landscape Architecture at Leeds in 1983 and has since worked in both private practice and higher education. Kevin’s research interests and activities stem from PhD work completed in 1999 and relate primarily to the philosophy and theory of landscape design and spatial experience in urban and residential settings. Kevin is an active advocate of and contributor to innovations in research led teaching and the potential this has for translating new thinking in Landscape Architecture and Urban Design for student and practitioner audiences. Research and teaching has a phenomenological emphasis, focusing on human experience and its expression in everyday urban outdoor environments. Kevin is a member of the Board of Trustees of IAPS (the International Association for People-environment Studies) and along with Terry Hartig (SLU), and Jenny Roe, co-convener of the Restorative Environments IAPS network. Along with Experiential Landscape colleagues Dr Ian Simkins and Dr Alice Mathers, Kevin is a director of Experiemics Ltd, the consultancy arm of Experiential Landscape research.
- Thwaites, K. (2010) Towards a Concept of Socially Restorative Urbanism: reflections on social and spatial dimensions of urban restorative experience. Landscape Review, New Zealand (pub pending).
- Thwaites.K. and Simkins.I.M. (2009) Experiential Landscape: exploring the spatial dimensions of human emotional fulfillment in outdoor open space. In Tolba.M.K., Abdel-Hadi.A. and Soliman.S. (2009) Environment, Health and Sustainable Development: Gottingen, Hofgrefe Publishing GmbH, pp.164-176.
- Thwaites.K., and Simkins.I.M. (2007) Experiential Landscape: an approach to people, space and place. Oxon. Routledge. pp.v-230.
- Thwaites.K., Porta.S., Romice.O. and Greaves.M. (2007) Urban Sustainability through Environmental Design: approaches to time-people-place responsive urban spaces. Oxon. Routledge. pp. vi-168.
- Thwaites.K., Helleur.E. and Simkins.I.M. (2005) Restorative Urban Landscape Settings: Exploring the Spatial Dimensions of Human Emotional Fulfilment in Urban Open Space. Landscape Research, vol 30, no.4, pp.525-547.
- Thwaites.K. and Simkins.I.M. (2005) Experiential Landscape Place: Place Making and Quality of Life in Neighbourhood Settings. Urban Design International, vol 10, pp.11-22.
- Thwaites.K. (2002) Teaching and Research: An Integrated Approach to the Undergraduate Studio in Landscape Architecture Education. Landscape Review (New Zealand), vol.8(1), pp.12-28.
- Thwaites.K. (2001) Experiential Landscape Place: An Exploration of Place and Neighbourhood in Landscape Architecture. Landscape Research, vol.26, no.3, pp.245-255.
- Thwaites.K. (2000) Expressivist Landscape Architecture: A New Conceptual Framework for Landscape Architecture. Landscape Journal, (USA) Vol.19, No.s 1 and 2, pp.201-210.
- Thwaites,K. (1998) Landscape Design is Research: An Exploration. in: Selman, P. Landscape Design as Research: an emerging debate. Landscape Research, Vol 23, No2, July, pp.196-198.
- Thwaites.K. (1996) In Search of the Designer’s New Mind. Landscape Design, September, p.13-18. (peer reviewed feature).